Sunday, August 16, 2009

The party before.....

Every year around Labor Day weekend (early this year), my dad's family has a family reunion. Since my dad is from Cache Valley, the reunion is almost always in Millville. When we were kids, we would come up the day before and spend the night at grandma's or the aunt's/uncle's. Now that we are all older; our new 'tradition' is camping the day before the reunion. Okay, now, I am the first to admit that I am not an avid camper!! I don't mind sleeping in a tent for ONE night or staying in a camper. I have no problem getting my hands dirty and using the woods as a bathroom. :) However, I draw the line at camping in the rain!!! Every time I go camping, it rains. When it rains, ALL of my stuff gets soaked!! But I try my hardest not to complain and I go camping anyway and have a good time! In fact, one of the smells that I love is the smell of a campfire, so camping isn't all bad!!! Anyway (ranting done), for the past four years our new 'tradition' has been in full swing!!! The first two years we camped at Hyrum Lake State Park. Last year the reunion was in Clinton so we decided to try something new and went to Cherry Hill water park in Kaysville.

Crazy Campers!!!!

Some fun pics of Cherry Hill (2008).

This year the reunion was in Millville; so once again we decided to do something new and we camped at Box Elder Campground in Mantua (man-a-way), 5-ish miles East of Brigham City in Sardine Canyon. So....last week (Aug. 7-8) I went camping. Like I said before, EVERY TIME I go camping (ok, last year it didn't) it rains. But this year I was sort of lucky, it actually didn't rain until early Saturday morning. Although we were missing some people, we had a lot of fun together!! My niece Megan was sick so my oldest sister and her family didn't come. The kids were bummed!!! But, viola!!!!! Aunt Jamie to the rescue!! I was down at my parent's house the week before so I offered to take Monica and Shannon with me and my parents (who were coming up) could take them back with them. So Monica, Shannon, and I slept in my brother's tent.'Home away from Home'
(I would not make a good Pioneer!)

I don't know why but every time I go camping, I am never as prepared as I think I am!! And, you would think after living in Utah my ENTIRE life, I would know how cold it gets in the mountains at night!!! But, alas, I must block those moments out of my mind. So, we scrounged through my brothers trailer and found all the blankets they had and used those!!! Luckily, Michelle had stocked up on blankets and the 'tenters' were able to keep warm. :D


Monica and Michelle using their Girl Scout 'fire building' skills!!!

Sami was DETERMINED to help build the fire!!!

For dinner, we roasted hot dogs and Polish sausages and had yummy cabbage salad and some chips!! Then we played the 'numbers' game!! Such a funny game, especially when the guys get the 'girly' items!!! Unfortunately, I didn't know my camera batteries were dying so I didn't get any pictures after the fire building adventure!! In the morning, with the rain pouring down, we decided to go into Logan and make breakfast at my sister's house. We had pancakes, sausage, bacon, eggs, juice, and milk!! I am so lucky and blessed to have such a great family!!! We have a great time together and there is never a shortage of laughter and craziness when we get together as a family!! :D

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad that you came camping with us! I'm sorry it was a miserable night! Cute blog!!

    ReplyDelete